Hawaii Green Business Awards Honor Energy Efficiency Efforts Across the StatePosted on Jul 11, 2014 in News
Hawaii State Energy Office
For Immediate Release: July 11, 2014
HONOLULU—The state honored 13 businesses and nine events today for their outstanding and innovative clean energy efforts at the 2014 Hawaii Green Business Awards. The awards were presented by Lt. Gov. Shan Tsutsui and hosted by the Hawaii State Energy Office of the Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism (DBEDT), Department of Health and The Chamber of Commerce of Hawaii. The annual awards program recognizes achievements by Hawaii businesses and entities in the area of energy efficiency.
“Today’s honorees have proven themselves to be responsible stewards of business and the environment. Together, they showcase a deep commitment to preserve and protect our precious natural resources,” said Lt. Gov. Tsutsui. “From hotel guest room energy conservation systems and sourcing local ingredients to composting, efforts like these will reduce our impact on the environment and reliance on imported fossil fuels.”
The Hawaii Green Business Program (HGBP) assists and recognizes businesses that strive to operate in an environmentally and socially responsible manner. When launched in 2002, the HGBP initially focused on Resorts & Hotels due to the large number of visitors in Hawaii, and the potential for significant resource reduction through conservation. This year, the Wyndham Waikiki will be awarded for the third consecutive time, having tracked energy, water, and recycling rates as well as establishing a Green Committee to support its corporate legacy commitment.
The program, funded in part by the federal Environmental Protection Agency Pacific Southwest Region IX, has expanded over the years and now includes four categories: Resorts & Hotels, Offices & Retail, Restaurant & Food Service Facilities, and Green Events. Next year’s awards will feature two new categories: Grocery Stores and Worship Facilities.
Businesses that have been recognized for their green practices can be viewed in an interactive map on the Hawaii State Energy Office’s Green Business Program website: energy.hawaii.gov/green-business-program. The Hawaii State Energy Office also is releasing an app that will also make the interactive map accessible on mobile devices.
The honorees of the 2014 Hawaii Green Business Awards are:
- Aqua Bamboo Waikiki Hotel
- Aqua Kauai Beach Resort
- Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort and Spa
- Hawaii Island Retreat
- Marriott’s Maui Ocean Club
- Outrigger Reef on The Beach
- The Equus Hotel
- The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua
- Wyndham at Waikiki Beach Walk
- Blue Hawaii Lifestyles
- Honeywell Smart Grid Solution
- MonkeyPod Kitchen at Ko‘olina
- The Limtiaco Consulting Group
The Hawaii Green Business Awards also honored nine green events held in 2014:
- Build and Buy Green Conference at Hawaii Convention Center and University of Hawaii Cancer Center Sullivan Center 2013 & 2014
- TEDx “Disruptive Leadership” & “Cultivating Community”
- Hawaii Innovation Workshop by travel2change
- Hawaii Sustainability in Higher Education Summit
- Green Apple Day of Service – USGBC Hawaii
- Kamehameha Schools’ Sustainability Council Retreat #2-KYA
- KYA Holiday Party 2013
- ILFI Water Petal Event-KYA
- Loco Kine Valentine by Sweetbreads
For a description of the awardees and their energy efficiency accomplishments, please see separate Awardee Accomplishments document.
Alan Yonan Jr.
DBEDT State Energy Office