Small Business Regulatory Review Board
The Small Business Regulatory Review Board (SBRRB) was established on July 1, 1998, with passage of the Small Business Regulatory Flexibility Act. Subsequently, the role of the SBRRB was codified in Chapter 201M, Hawaii Revised Statutes (HRS).
Responsibilities of the SBRRB include:
- Commentary on small business impact statements to rule-drafting departments
- Identifying and commenting on business impacts of existing administrative rules and regulations
- Recommendations to the Governor, State Departments or the State Legislature regarding the need for an administrative rule or legislative change
- Recommendations to the Mayors or County Councils regarding County rules
- Review of small business petitions and complaints on business impact
The SBRRB makes recommendations to State Departments or the Legislature regarding the need for a rule change or legislation.
For requests regarding County rules, the SBRRB may make recommendations to the County Council or the Mayor for appropriate action.
Why are Small Businesses important?
- Represent more than 98% of all businesses establishing in Hawaii
- Employees working in small businesses with less than 100 employees make up 57% of all employees in Hawaii
*Excludes self-employed individuals; The State of Hawaii Data Book 2017 – Characteristics of Business Establishments: 2004 to 2016
MESSAGE FROM THE CHAIR
“The SBRRB volunteer members have a vital role to perform. Board members join in serving the people of Hawai‘i and most importantly represent their islands to support small business challenges and successes. We look forward to working with the Departments and Counties and helping to make positive and lasting changes to the small business community.”
Mahalo and Aloha,
~Anthony Borge, Chair
Interested in becoming a board member?
If you are a current or former officer or owner of a business and live on Oahu or any of the neighboring islands, you qualify!
The SBRRB is currently in need of three (3) members; two for nomination by the House Speaker and one by the Senate President.
Vacancies for boards and commissions can be found on the Governor’s Boards and Commissions website: http://boards.hawaii.gov
Apply online by following the prompts. Be sure to have a current resume and letter of recommendation to upload and submit.
For specific questions relating to boards and commissions, contact Sharon Ibarra: firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions relating to the Small Business Regulatory Review Board, contact SBRRB Adminstrator Dori Palcovich: email@example.com