Responsibilities of the SBRRB include:
- Commentary on small business impact statements to rule-drafting departments
- Identifying and commenting on business impacts of existing administrative rules and regulations
- Recommendations to the Governor, State Departments or the State Legislature regarding the need for an administrative rule or legislative change
- Recommendations to the Mayors or County Councils regarding County rules
- Review of small business petitions and complaints on business impact
Statutorily, the SBRRB is comprised of nine members – eight current or former owners or officers of businesses from across the State, and the Director of DBEDT or the Director’s designated representative, who serves as an “ex officio” board member. Aside from DBEDT’s Director, the board members, with the advice and consent of the Senate, are appointed by the Governor. Three members are appointed from a list of nominees submitted by the President of the Senate, three members are appointed from a list of nominees submitted by the Speaker of the House of Representatives, and two members are appointed by the Governor. The appointments reflect a representation of a variety of businesses in the State with no more than two members from the same type of business and at least one representative from each county. In addition, nominations are solicited from small business organizations, state and county chambers of commerce and other interested business organizations.