Reserved Housing Rules Proposed AmendmentsPosted on Mar 29, 2017 in Main
The Authority held two public hearings on the Amendments. Notice was be published in the newspapers of general circulation in all the counties. All public testimony was be considered.
On June 13, 2018 the Authority approved the Amendments and forwarded them to the governor. The HCDA Kakaako Reserved Housing Rule amendments were signed by Governor Ige on June 28, 2018.
The below information includes the official hearing notice and proposed rules that were considered, testimony, information on the hearings officer, and a timeline of Authority public meetings.
Hearing Notices – June 2018
- Public Hearing Notice Kakaako Reserved Housing Rules Amendment June 6 & 13, 2018
- 20180606 Kakaako Reserved Housing Rules Amendments-Draft
2017 and Earlier Reserved Housing Rules Drafts and Hearings
Hearing Notices – August and September
- Public Hearing Notice Kakaako Reserved Housing Rules Amendment August 16 and September 6, 2017
- 20170716 Kakaako Reserved Housing Rules Amendments-Draft
- 20170816 HCDA PowerPoint Reserved Housing
On September 6, 2017, the Authority approved the 2017 Reserved Housing Rules Proposed Amendments. The Amendments were not approved by Governor Ige.
September 6, 2017
August 16, 2017
- Reserved Housing Testimony received July 6, 2017 to August 13, 2017
- 20170816 HCDA powerpoint Reserved Housing
- Reserved Housing Testimony received August 13, 2017 to August 16, 2017
July 5, 2017
- HCDA Kakaako Business meeting notice
- Action Item: Shall the Authority Approve the Most Current Draft of the Proposed Kakaako Reserved Housing Rules Amendments, dated July 5, 2017, for the Purpose of Holding Public Hearings to Adopt the Proposed Amendments?
- Reserved Housing Testimony July 2017
Hearing Notices – March and May
- Public Hearing Notice Kakaako Reserved Housing Rules Amendment March 28 and May 3, 2017
- Public Hearing Notice Kakaako Reserved Housing Rules Amendment May 17 and May 31, 2017
- Kakaako Reserved Housing Rules Amendments-Public Hearing Final 20170223
- Summary of Proposed Rules Changes
June 7, 2017
- Kakaako Reserved Housing Rules Amendments-Staff Proposed Alternatives FINAL060117
- Testimony Received as of 06.06.2017
May 31, 2017
- Staff Report
- Exhibit “A” to Staff Report
- Memo: Feasibility Analysis of Proposed Kakaako Reserved Housing Rules
- Powerpoint Presentation
- Written Testimony received as of 05.30.17 10 a.m.
- Written Testimony received after 10 a.m. 05.30.17 until 9 a.m. 5.31.17
- News Release: Hearing Continued
May 17, 2017
- Powerpoint Presentation
- Reserved Housing Written Testimony received 05.04.17 to 8:00 a.m. 5.17.17
- Testimony from Paul Brewbaker
- Written Testimony submitted at the public hearing
May 3, 2017
- 05.03.2017 Public Hearing Board Packet
- Reserved Housing Written Testimony received 10 a.m. 03.28.17 to 8:00 a.m. 05.02.2017
- Reserved Housing Written Testimony received after 05.02.17 8:00 a.m.
- Letter from the City to HCDA
- Powerpoint Presentation
- Olelo: Reserved Housing Rules Public Hearing
March 28, 2017
May 7, 2014
- Decision Making: Shall the Authority Initiate Hawaii Community Development Authority Rule Making for: d. Amendment of Chapter 218 of Title 15, Hawaii Administrative Rules, Entitled “Kakaako Reserved Housing Rules”.
Aug 6, 2014
- Appointment of HRS Section 92-2.5(b) Committee to Investigate Enhancement of HCDA’s Reserved Housing Program in Kakaako and Recommend Necessary Statutory and/or Rule Amendments.
March 1, 2015
May 6, 2015
Sept. 2, 2015
Feb. 3, 2016
July 6, 2016
Sept. 7, 2016
- Information and Discussion: Kakaako Community Development District Reserved Housing Rules Proposed Draft Amendments.
January 4, 2017
Mar. 1, 2017
- Information: Kakaako Community Development District Reserved Housing Rules Proposed Draft Amendments.
- 3.1.2017 Public Testimony.RH Rule Proposed Amendments
- Testimony submitted 2.23.2017
Media Coverage of Reserved Housing Rules
(Subscription may be required)
- Civil Beat: State Board Delays Decision on Kakaako Housing Rules
- Honolulu Star-Advertiser: New Affordable Housing Hearings Required
- Honolulu Star-Advertiser: Board Defers Affordable-Housing Rule Changes
- KITV: Kakaako Board Puts Off Final Decision on Rules to Generate More Housing
- Hawaii News Now: HCDA Eyes New Rules Aimed at Spurring Affordable Development in Kakaako
- Civil Beat: Is it Fair to Profit from Reselling Affordable Housing?
- Hawaii Public Radio: Kaka’ako Development Rule Changes for New Construction: Decision, May 31st
- KHON: HCDA to hold meeting to discuss with public proposed changes to Kakaako reserved housing rules
- Honolulu Civil Beat: Community Voice – Kakaako is for Families, Not Speculators
- Honolulu Star-Advertiser: Residents and others weigh in on housing rules for Kakaako
- KITV: HCDA proposes changes to affordable housing rules
- Honolulu Star-Advertiser: State board skips its own hearing
- Honolulu Civil Beat: Why Didn’t A Single Board Member Show Up To A Kakaako Housing Hearing?
- Hawaii Public Radio: HCDA: Developers and Public Weigh-In on Proposed Affordable Housing Rules
- Civil Beat: Commentary — Yes, We Can Build Our Way Out Of The Housing Shortage
- Honolulu Star-Advertiser: Island Voices — Proposed changes would restrict affordable housing in Kakaako
- Honolulu Star-Advertiser: New rules could cut housing cost in Kakaako
- Honolulu Star-Advertiser: Editorial — Kakaako Affordable Housing Rules Need Redo
- Honolulu Star-Advertiser: Major changes urged for Kakaako housing
- Hawaii News Now: HCDA considering tougher regulations to create more affordable housing
- Hawaii News Now: State to change re-sale rules for Kakaako workforce units to keep them affordable